Solid Gold Cane Top of HH Abu Bakar
The item was found on sales record of Michael Backman Ltd. Of
. It was sold to unknown bidder sometime last May. These items were list under “Chinese” collection, not London Malaya.
It was engraved with “HHM of Johore” which means the His Highness “Maharaja” Of Johor.
- HH Abu Bakar reigned as a ruler by title “Maharajah” is from 1868 – 1885. Therefore, the Cane Top was probably made within this period.
HH Sultan Abu Bakar
1862 – 1868
1868 – 1885
1885 – 1895
- HH Abu Bakar visited
and Shanghai in 1883. It is unknown whether HH Abu Bakar has visited the Xuangxu Emperor. Beijing
- HH Abu Bakar has vested with “Imperial Order of Double Dragon, 1st Class from Xuangxu Emperor in 1894.
The Solid Gold Cane Top might probably made and presented to HH Abu Bakar in 1883 (as Maharaja), during his visit to
A Paper presented by Dr. Lim Phui Huen in 2000
- Johor’s Connection with Chinese Triad dated back in 1844 during Temenggung Ibrahim reigns. By 1877 (during his reign as Maharaja), the Johor Government has officially recognize the Ngee Heng Triad and its leaders as loyal supporter of Sultan.
- Engraving of 1st photograph showing that the “Kwan” God were fighting and 3rd and 4th Photography showing the Shield engraved with Tiger’s face, similarly to the Johor Emblem. “Kwan” God was the 1 of 3 Gods worshipped by the Triad Members.
- This could lead to believe that ‘The Cane’ was made as a sign of superiority of Sultan over his Chinese Subject between years 1868 to 1885.
- In 1916, the current Sultan, HH Sir Ibrahim give up his interest and dissolve the Ngee Heng Kongsi upon the pressures from British Government and return all the ‘ceremonial’ items to leader of Ngee Heng who later – bury all those items in Chinese Cemetery in Bukit Saujana.
The Solid God Can Top might be presented by the Emperor’s Court during his visit in the year 1883. His
Name and the State Emblem at the Top of the Cane supersede the engraving of god “Kwan” at the side of
the handle symbolizing his superiority over the Chinese Triad in
Malaya at that time.
Michael Backman is one of the closed allies of Anwar Ibrahim. He is best known in the west as the manwho
saying "Malaysia Bodoh" as slogan sarcastically to critic the ruling government.